BOS and netminder Rask agreed to terms on one-year, $3.5M deal.— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) June 28, 2012
Boom! We all know that Bob's word on contracts is pretty much golden.
So lets look at this deal. I think it's pretty win/win for both sides, though it seems that everyone is getting all bent out of shape re: the 1 year contract. I think people need to step back and take a deep breath, maybe smoke a little weed and relax.
The Bruins/Rask deal is a win/win for both sides and here's why:
- Low risk for a goalie who hasn't played more than 45 games in a season
- If Rask is terrible, the Bruins can cut ties without being held up in a lot of cap
- If Rask is good to amazing he's a restricted free agent in July 2013 which means they can extend him for more money
- Prove to the Bruins he's starting goaltender material
- Lack of long term contract gives him incentive to play well
- Rask playing good to amazing means he could get a huge contract next season
Can't have it both way folks.
Also, I don't think this has anything to do with Malcolm Subban. Subban is probably 3-5 years out for being NHL ready so even if Rask sucks next year, don't expect to see Subban between the pipes.
With that said, I'm happy I can wear my Rask jersey for (at least) another year!
Good job Chiarelli